Founded in 1959, the Botanical Conservatory serves the university community and beyond as an educational facility, research resource, and genetic diversity preserve. The greenhouses and outdoor growing areas contain over 2,500 plant species from most of the world’s climatic regions.
The Controlled Environment Facility maintains a total of 151 plant growth chambers in two separate locations on campus. Chamber controls include light intensity, temperature, relative humidity, photoperiod and irrigation systems. There are also many specialized units, including 15 for precise control of carbon dioxide levels.
There are 17 research greenhouses at the Orchard Park facility, as well as two lath houses, a contained outdoor growing space and three headhouses. At the Core Greenhouse Complex, Plant Growth Facilities oversees two state-of-the-art greenhouses. This complex also includes a large headhouse.
A greenhouse on the third floor of the Sciences Laboratory Building supports classes in plant biology and plant-related biological science courses. Plants are conveniently grown adjacent to classrooms. Visitors are always welcome.